How to See The Best of The Republic of Ireland in Three Days

Okay so we all know the band Kodaline, right? The band I was originally meant to see last year, before they rescheduled? The band I was meant to see on their new date, but couldn't because I'd accidentally bought a holiday to Germany? The band that I decided I was going to see this year, regardless of how much tickets may cost, or where in the world they might actually be performing? We all know that band, right? So this month, I decided to fly all the way up to Dun Laoghaire, Ireland, just for one evening of Kodaline. Was it extremely tiresome to travel cross-county to hear a couple sets? Yes. But was it also extremely worth it to get to see Ireland? Also yes. Definitely, definitely, yes.




So, after booking two tickets to see Kodaline at the famous Marlay Park, I also booked a couple nights stay in a hotel in Dun Laoghaire, because it seemed close to both the park and the centre of Dublin. Only problem was - the hotel was pretty shit. Imagine mould, rotting and peeling walls, holes in bedsheets and in off-colour towels, and stagnant "complimentary" breakfasts, all for a rather large price. In all honesty, if I had actually read reviews on the hotel in the first place, I probably would have stayed in the beautiful Royal Marine just down the road, which only cost twenty quid extra. I don't want to discredit the hotel by naming it, but let's just say that if you are planning on booking a hotel by the coast in Dun Laoghaire and the rating is lower than the hits Trump is taking at Sanders, then do yourself a favour and just stay the heck away. Also, the host was pretty scary - at one point I told her I was vegetarian, in regards to what I could eat in the morning (which turned out to be nothing because the food was so awful), and she stared me dead in the eyes and said in a thick Russian/ Polish/ Kosovar accent, "that was a bad move". Spooky, much?

So the hotel was awful, but the location wasn't. We were situated right by the coast, which is my favourite thing ever, surrounded by all these little shops and cafes - and there were basically no tourists, just Actual Irish People (with their gorgeous classic, jet black and ginger-haired, green-eyed selves) milling about. I say this like it's a surprise to find Irish people in Ireland, but every time I spoke to one and was greeted with a beautifully thick accent I was slightly taken aback, and would dully comment to my co-traveller, "they're Irish". No crap they're Irish Amy, you're in Ireland.

You're probably now like "cut it with the commentary, I want to learn how I can see the best of the Republic of Ireland in three days, and three days alone, as that is why I'm actually here", and as I'm not one to fail to deliver what y'all have sought after, here we go.


Suspended bars such as The Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire were one of my favourite places to go to, because you could sit outside on the top bit and have a stunning look out over the coast as the sun went down, drinking blue lagoon cocktails and having chocolate sundaes (right?). It was a relaxed way to start my venture into Ireland, because I would sit with my co-traveller, talk about life, and look over across the town. Literally beautiful.

The Spire of Dublin is a staple monument that you see when you get into the city, and is often used as a meeting point. It was originally meant to be built to celebrate the year 2000, but according to a random Irish guy lounging around the area, the builders were a tad lazy and only actually built it a couple years later. The spire is often regarded as the sort of thing that if you haven't even glimpsed whilst staying in Ireland, then did you really go at all?

The River Liffey is one of the most famous rivers, as it runs through the centre of Dublin, and is featured in many different songs and movies. The equally famous Ha'penny Bridge, built in 1816, arches across the river near the main shopping streets in the city, and the architecture of it is so super pretty, I really recommend y'all check it out.

Penney's is basically Ireland's Primark, and I'm sorry, but it is so weird that they've given it a whole new name whilst still having Primark tags on their clothing, that you should go just to point out how ridiculous it all is.

The Leprechaun Museum is a small museum in Dublin that opens to be a long walk through a bunch of rooms, some with giant furniture to show you what life would be like as a leprechaun, some made of steel to imitate houses that wanted to keep fairies away, and also a little room that looked like a garden, where our tour guide told us the heartbreaking story of Tír Na NÓg - where the moral of the story is basically just 'don't ever try to help people or you will fall off your horse, age 300 years and die'. It's a little pricey for such a short tour, but was pretty cool nonetheless.


The Temple Bar is a super famous bar in Dublin, mainly just because of the events they host. I personally don't consider it to be anything special, but any tourist shop you go in will have at least a gazillion things, be it magnets or keyrings, with a picture of this bar on the front, so maybe I'm just missing out on the appeal.

Dame Street is a very large street in the capital, which is home to an abundance of architecturally beautiful buildings. I passed one of the banks whilst on a bus, and Jesús, it was stunning.

The Guinness Storehouse is where, you guessed it, the world-famous beer, Guinness, is stored. I didn't go in, but it's just as impressive from the outside as it is apparently in the inside - with giant containers of beer standing around it, and a little bar at the top called the Gravity Bar - similar to the Forty Foot I mentioned earlier, with a view of the city.

Phoenix Park is a gigantic park in Dublin, and to put its size into perspective, Hyde Park is 1.42 km², whereas Phoenix Park is 7.07 km². Now I thought that Hyde Park was big, so imagine my astonishment at the size of this one. If you still don't get how big it is, Central Park, the biggest in New York, is only 3.41 km². Phoenix Park is huuuuuuuge!

St Patrick's Cathedral is a beautiful medieval building situated in Dublin, which is apparently fighting against the Christ Church Cathedral, minutes away from it, to be the best in the city. I personally think that the latter is the most stunning, but I'll leave it up to you to decide.


The National Maritime Museum of Ireland is situated in Dun Laoghaire, and was originally built for seafarers as a church, in 1873. This was, quite frankly, the best maritime museum I have ever been to in my life (which is saying something, because I've been to one in basically every country I've ever visited). It was so incredibly interesting that I spent hours upon hours scouring the whole place. The best thing about it, is that they have a conjoined cafe, which is basically a place selling super healthy raw foods and smoothies, and everything there is absolutely divine. During my time in this half-church, half-museum, I learnt the story about Clare O'Malley, who is an incredible Irish woman that everyone should learn about at some point during their life.

City Sightseeing is a tour bus company that can be found in a bunch of major cities, and as I live by London I tend to see them transporting tourists from one place to another, and always thought that they were a bit of a sell-out way to travel because you don't have to do a single thing yourself. But when I was in Dublin with my co-traveller, with both of our legs absolutely killing from all the walking we were doing, we decided to finally hop onto one of these buses. And, as it turns out, they're brilliant. We went on a circuit tour, which took nearly two hours, and we saw all of the major parts of the city, with a guy explaining what they were and what they did. What the buses are designed to do is tell you a little about a place, and then drop you off so that you can do the rest of the exploring yourself - which is a great idea, and not actually what I was expecting them to be doing. In all honesty, the bus I went on completely changed my mind about tour buses, and if y'all ever see one, you should definitely hop right on it.

Marlay Park is where Kodaline was playing when I stayed in Ireland, and I was expecting it to just be a simple, little outdoor venue with a couple hundred people. However, as it turns out, around 38,000 people turned up to the concert, and I honestly felt like I'd taken a wrong turn and ended up at Galstonbury Festival. Everyone was wearing flower headbands and anklets and short-shorts that showed the world their buttcheeks, and I had accidentally gone to my first full-blown festival. There were a couple opening acts, one being Jess Glynne, who I didn't recognise by name, but as I listen to popular radio stations whilst in the car a lot, I basically knew every single one of her songs. And then when Kodaline came on, everyone started dancing and singing and trying not to topple over - because who's sober at a festival? - and it was pretty brilliant. I honestly can't recommend a better place to go to a concert, especially when the main band is Irish and playing in Ireland, because everyone goes absolutely mad. On a sidenote though, if you need the toilet then you're screwed, unless you're okay with waiting for thirty other people to go before you, by which time you'd better prepare to hold your nose.



And so, I had a pretty epic time in Dun Laoghaire, and I can also completely relate to people who die over their accents, because they're a lot softer and easier on the ear than Northern Ireland accents, whilst still being absolutely gorgeous. I hope that I've helped some of you if you're ever planning on going to the Republic, and if so - let me know if the comment section below!

Have a good month, y'all!

- Amy

*Also, as a sidenote (mainly because I want to make the following pun), the weather in Dun Laoghaire is quite similar to London most of the time, but when I went, the weather in London wasn't great, but in Ireland it was stunning - Dun Laoghaire? More like Sun Laoghaire, am I right? *people boo in distance*

79 comments:

  1. Great post x Ireland looks gorgeous, I'd really like to visit some day x

    www.beautiliciousd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks to have been an interesting trip. I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to the Republic, being in the US and a bit stingy with my funds (though I am around 30% Irish). I would like to go to Wales at some point though. It's not of major consequence to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite a trip you are right, and being from Wales I definitely agree that you have to go.

      Delete
  3. Man, you are so lucky to get to go to Ireland! All of your photos are, of course, gorgeous. I especially loved the one of all the boats in harbour with the sun setting. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post :)
    I am in love with your blog :)

    http://itsmetijana.blogspot.rs/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, loving your shots! Especially the beautiful boat scene, I've never been to Ireland but I want to visit Phoenix Park so bad! I'm such a park person and can't imagine anything bigger than Regents park in London haha! xD xx

    elizabeth ♡ ”Ice Cream” whispers Clara | (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you dude, and yaas you definitely do!!

      Delete
  6. Wow, you had a lot of stuff pressed into just a few days! I especially like the sound of Dame Street and the architecture. I'm sure that was lovely. :) I'm glad you had fun and you got to see the band you've been waiting for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was v exhausting c': And thank you they were awesome!!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you had a great time, although a shame about the hotel. It sounds really bad! Would have been very disappointing.


    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hotel really wasn't very good, but then I guess it doesn't matter if you're only there to sleep, you know?

      Delete
  8. amazing!!! thanks for sharing this!! i'd totally love to visit this place!

    Have a great day!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, is really huge for 7 km... wow!
    I liked Hyde Park! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geez I know right, I thought Hyde was big!!

      Delete
  10. I've love to go to Ireland! I've never been there or Wales or Scotland before.

    I also love Kodaline but totally forgot about them!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you haven't??? omg dude you have to! and yaaaaas!!

      Delete
  11. Nice post

    Love Vikee
    www.slavetofashion9771.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! I would love to go one day :)
    xoxo

    Ileana

    Novelstyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post!! makes me want to go out and travel

    http://www.carolinapinglo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely want to visit Ireland one day. Phoenix Park sounds like a wonderful place to explore! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you travelled all that way to see your favourite band - total commitment, a true fan! ;) Phoenix Park sounds absolutely massive, the size comparison certainly puts it into perspective, wow...

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been to Ireland but it sounds and looks amazing. I will have to find the time to visit. Great post hun xx

    http://www.thatnewdress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great stuff, babe! Love those travel shots! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are awesome tips! I've been thinking about going to Ireland at some point in the near future, and I'm really interested in the Maritime Museum although if I went with my family we'd probably give it a pass because it's too culture-y for them. (My life is a horror movie.) And that's so cool that you travelled all that way to see your favourite band! I totally get the feeling, although I'm broke so I probably wouldn't do that :) And man, that hotel experience sounds awful! Thanks for visiting The Endless Oceans of my Mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg thank you dude. and I'm sure you could just slyly sneak off c': And it was definitely worth it!

      Delete
  19. oh wow!

    https://mygreenshopping.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. The corners were the best, got to be honest.

      Delete
  21. Your blog is sooo adorable, I can't even...
    Ireland is absolutely magical, I wish I'll be able to go there someday.
    I'm glad you had fun!

    http://thesecretshoot.site90.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohmygoodness thank you so much!! And you totally need to go c:

      Delete
  22. YOU CAME TO IRELAND?! WHOO! Strangely enough ( as being an Irish person ) I found this post rather informative. I've been to Dublin a few times, for shows in Bord Gais, the zoo, the Guiness Warehouse and some Dundrum Shopping but all the other stuff you mentioned is new to me. I'd really love to see that leprechaun museum. It sounds hilarious! XD
    There's also WAY more to see in Ireland. Like I'd totally recommend Killarney (in Kerry) or Sligo or Cork(mainly Blarney). The west of ireland is so much more prettier .
    Anyway I'm glad you had a good time! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAAS IT WAS INCREDIBLE I LOVE IT!! And yep, I think I'll need to go back just to see all those other cool places!

      Delete
  23. I feel tricked. I thought you lived in Ireland you kinda look Irish (then I check the bio at the side). So it seems that I'm all alone here. Okay...

    Hey, do not insult Penneys. *imagine this as a fierce face*

    I kinda get scared when being too close to the Liffey...

    Yup yup. Phoenix Park is absolutely brilliant. Used to go there loads of times when I was a kid ^^

    I'm surprised you find the accents absolutely stunning. Interesting...

    Thanks for commenting on my blog, by the way (and I like your paragraph below the comments xDD pretty reasonable).

    You seem like an interesting person. I just like seeing fellow European bloggers. :DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg I'm sorry!! In all fairness though I am welsh, so you weren't too far off. WOAH I'M SORRY FOR INSULTING PENNEYS, PLEASE FORGIVE ME. And Jesús yep they are some awesome accents, but then I adore all accents minus the really irritating English ones (we all know the one). BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH, YOU TOO!!

      Delete
  24. I think you'll be back there soon, it sounds like you had an awesome time! Irish accents are the best :) Angharad x

    welshandwonderful.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind going back like, tomorrow, to be honest. And too right c:

      Delete
  25. wonderful place!

    NEW BLOG ! please follow me : YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  26. I HAVE SUCH DESPERATION TO GO TO IRELAND IT IS WHAT I WANT AND NEED. I am well well impressed by your devotion to Kodaline. One of my best friends is obsessed with them. I will tell her this story, she'll be gratified.

    Your pics are beautiful, esp the marina! Gorgeous! I'm glad you had such a great time. Also this post me lol. (Esp the hotel woman.) And yes Irish accents are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEN I TRIPLE DARE YOU TO GO, LIKE, NOW! And omg, one of my own.
      Thank you so much dude! It was good, and oh my, the accents.

      Delete
  27. Wow amazing place :)
    xx

    http://losaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the beautiful scenery! Have an awesome week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'd totally love to visit Ireland! All of your photos are so beautiful! And it's so great that you finally got to see the band you wanted to!

    Stephanie ● Sartorial Diner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg thank you so much! And I was v v happy about it c:

      Delete
  30. Amazing and very interesting post ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post

    Love Vikee
    www.slavetofashion9771.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I really want to go some day, looks so beautiful from nature and historical view!

    d'star

    *d'star*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude you really need to, you'd love it c:

      Delete
  33. Such wonderful photos, dear. Thanks for sharing this.
    xoxo
    Liza
    Liza Corner | Instagram | Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love to visit Ireland one day!

    I have never heard of Kodaline before now - I'll have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude you have to! And omg tell me what you think!

      Delete