checking off #85 from my bucket list - swing through the air on a trapeze

Turns out that I obviously dented enough brain cells in the air to make a graphic for this post

Unlike most people I didn't start trapeze lessons because I wanted to overcome a fear of flying, heights, or jumping off of things with only my hands stopping me from plummeting to the ground. I didn't do it because I'd recently gone through a bad break-up and wanted to rediscover myself, nor because of a crumbling mortgage, mid-life crisis, or horrendous divorce like a bunch of other people that take it up. No, my reason for starting trapeze lessons was much more reasonable and practical than that. I started trapeze lessons so that I'd have a solid back-up plan if I failed my exams - join the circus.

"Oh, you'll enjoy it once you're up there! You'll toootally regret it now if you have to climb back down the unstable 30-foot ladder." I was standing at the top of a tiny meter-square platform, where a small American girl was holding onto my harness to stop me from flinging myself off by accident, and another one of the instructors were climbing up to shout at me to make me move.

I would have been quite happy sat on the ground for the few hours of class, just watching other people as they hesitantly jumped off, a look on their face like they were going to crap their pants.  It was quite amusing watching the rest of the people in my class have their turns - a young Polish woman who shouted that her knees were shaking before she fell off, a girl who started yell-crying when her friend turned out to be better than her, a retired yet gorgeously muscular circus act show off to his equally muscular wife who'd had so many dermal fillers that I couldn't tell if she was terrified or non-plussed, and a girl my age who had had four lessons prior and still couldn't make a catch (pfft, what a loser, right?).

From the ground, it looked almost fun, as if it weren't so high or so fast or completely at loss of control. But when one girl started crying uncontrollably after letting go tumbling messily down, I rethought the waiver they made me sign (which ensured that if I died a horrible Final Destination -esque death my family couldn't sue), and I'm pretty sure that was when I started questioning my own sanity.

See, I've always thought that I have balls of steel. I've always been the sort of person to casually emit phrases like "oh, I want to do a skydive for Crohn's Disease", or "wouldn't it be fun to bungee jump over a few hundred foot drop down by Oregon?" However, now, I was stood at the top of a little platform, having to lean over a 30-foot drop, with only my skinny white arms holding onto a bar stopping me from plummeting. 

Eventually, I was tired of the instructor yelling at me, and did not fancy walking back down the ladder, so I had to reach over to grab the bar, and then I jumped.


I know, I know, I've never had better photos taken than these
And oh my god. If you've ever watched that scene in Sex and the City where Carrie tries out trapeze you may think that it's this exciting, freeing feeling, flying through the air. But in all honesty, it's the stuff of nightmares (actual, genuine, recurring nightmares). Turns out, I'm not a fan of holding onto this flimsy little bit of plastic going at a terrifying speed where I can't do anything to stop it. Completely crazy, I know.

The first swing is the hardest, where you're just hanging like a limp doll as the park flies past you, but then it gets easier. Eventually, it slowed down and I managed to pull myself up and over the bar, reaching out backwards to be caught, ending in a neat little backwards flip. The woman yelled instructions at me, as she was basically like "there is no way you're getting off this goddam thing until you act like a seasoned professional", and voila, I did it. Like, five times. My eyes were closed to stop myself from vomming at the height of it, but hey. If anything, the worst part was trying to get down because the Polish woman kept trying to add me on Instagram.

Would I do it again? Maybe, so that I could just show off to friends or get some badass photos for my Insta. Either way, whoever says it's "freeing" or "fun" or "carefree" is a damn liar, and should not be trusted.

59 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't believe you did that! You're super brave!

    Rosy | Sparkles of Light Blog
    My Instagram | Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone terrified of heights I'm so impressed you did this, well done! Even if it wasn't the nicest feeling in the world, you did it! 5 times! Wow!

    Hope you are having a lovely week so far :)

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to try it for ages!! Thanks for inspiration!
    Kira
    Kira Is Wearing
    Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I love your honesty about not enjoying holding onto a flimsy piece of plastic in the air! All the same, a huge congratulations for having ticked it off your bucket list!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice | Estella Bartlett Jewellery Giveaway (Open Worldwide!) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome! So glad you did this. I definitely wouldn't have the courage so I admire you.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is impressive, WOW! It takes a lot of guts to be able to do it so congratulations and you wrote the experience really great.


    https://mihabalan.com/2017/08/04/red-sweater-red-dress-white-white-outfits/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am giving you a standing ovation. I am so impressed and love your attitude. Thank you for posting this and your inspirations.

    Xx
    Nikki
    www.nikkilivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH good for you for going through with it! I would be on the fence between how exciting and how scary that would be! What a fun post to read loved it.

    Deedee

    http://madeupgirl-madeupgirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is super cool! Definitely something I have to addd to my bucket list :)


    Caro :*
    http://nilooorac.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. So crazy and impressive. I would never decide to do that, because I'm too afraid of height.
    Best Wishes,
    Alexandra Drążek

    https://aldrazek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heights don't bother me, but that is definitely the stuff of nightmares! Wahoo! Glad you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's amazing that you did that and thank you for being so honest about the experience! You have my admiration for having done it! Just the thought of being that high up has set off my acrophobia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to do this! I did skydiving but I think this would actually be a lot harder for heights. Skydiving the instructor does everything with this you have to swing for yourself and reach out your arms. Definitely not for the faint hearted
    xx

    Lizzie | Takeoffs & Landings

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes I watched Sex and the City!


    http://www.thequinoxfashion.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so brave! What an experience~

    Vivian | LIVE . IN . LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

    ~

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG this sounds so exciting and scary!!! You're so brave!

    Have an awesome day!
    xx Kris

    https://dreamingofpink.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg WOW. That would be absolutely terrifying!! I kind of almost would like to do it? But I also did indoor rockclimbing once and had so much trouble letting go at the top to abseil back down so...probably not. 😂😂BUT GOOD ON YOU FOR DOING THIS!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ¡¡Hola Amy!! Siempre me ha dado mucho respeto este tipo de cosas, soy la típica que va a los parques temáticos y no me puedo subir en casi nada, todo me da náuseas, ja, ja. Has sido bastante valiente. Por cierto, la semana que viene ya viajo a tu país por primera vez, mis destinos son Manchester, York y un fin de semana en Londres, poco tiempo, ya sé, pero iremos a conocer, dentro de lo que el tiempo nos de, los lugares más emblemáticos. Ya te contaré. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Props to you for doing this. It must have been terrifying, but at least you can say you've done it! I've always thought it looked fun, but the height would probably sway me from ever actually trying it out.

    amberelb.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. the way you write about it is hilarious, but I do get the fact it is not as fun as it sounds like:):). I love heights, but I don't think I would try it....sounds like too much work...and having to listen to instructors doesn't sound fun...but kudos to you for pulling it off...at least you can brag about it.

    http://modaodaradosti.blogspot.ba/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow!! That sounds amazing!! Would love to try that as well :)

    xx Alyssa // STYLE VANITY

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy, I'm sorry, I know this was almost a nightmare for you, but your report was freaking hilarious! I'm still laughing at the whole thing, and I loved that you called someone a "small american girl" ahah. It almost sounds like a starbucks order! Really, I loved this. You're brilliant. Please keep doing risky stuff like this and keep the blog posts coming! Ahahah
    la veine chronicles

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your accounting of the trapeze experience was so hilarious and well written. I started getting virtual vertigo! I can't imagine EVER trying that one! Congratulations to you for taking on the challenge. You're a brave soul!
    xo, janea
    www.theSTYLEtti.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness this sounds horrendous lol! You are much braver than me - there's no way I would have given that a go! x

    Jenny | LuxeStyle

    ReplyDelete
  25. Eeeeek I'd love to do something like this but I don't think I'd ever have the guts! I adore your writing style, your honesty makes me chuckle!
    Amy xx
    www.callmeamy.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow how brave you were to do that! Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. How cool! I would love to do that but idk if I would be brave enough.

    Kara Aragon
    http://www.thekaragon.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so cool!!! I don't have a bucket list, but I love to try crazy stuff, so I'd defenitely be in for something like this!!

    d'star

    *d'star*

    ReplyDelete
  29. Seems like you had such a lot of fun in your bucket list! I adore you girl! I would love to try in once but sure my mama wouldnt let me LOL


    xoxo
    ayu

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG, this is so brave, Im not sure if I ever be able to do it....
    Happy Wednesday!
    https://anjage.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, I'm really impressed that you did it! You can be so proud of you!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you're so brave! It looks like so much fun (once you've jumped) as well!
    Have a lovely day :)
    Rosanna x
    Rose's Rooftop

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! I'm impressed--just thinking about it is making ME dizzy.
    And you're right, you now have great photos to show off!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yikes, you're very brave - that looks pretty high up there! Even when I was young, less afraid of heights and in my best shape I wouldn't have attempted that - but kudos to you for doing it - and five times at that - very impressive! That must have really gotten your adrenaline flowing!

    http://www.full-brief-panties.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Very brave to do that - very impressed. Can't remember the Sex and the City scene, such a long time ago that I have watched it. Not sure I would be able to do that!

    Miriam xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. LMAO even after reading this, I'd probably still try it!

    Blog | Instagram | Blogger Tools

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG, great post! I actually laughed when I read the back up plan part! Such a hilarious read. I think I would try it also just because I’d think it looks easy then also get up to the platform & demand to be taken down via cherry picker. So impressive that you went through it! Kickin’ ass!

    TFM Life & Style blog

    ReplyDelete
  38. That looks terrifying! I am scared of heights so I would never do this, but I'm so impressed you did! (and five times!). Well done!
    Julia x
    http://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. OH MY GOODNESS!
    I could never!
    I love that many of us say that if we fail exams 'we'd going the circus' rather jokingly and yet you're staying true to your word! Haha!
    I imagine this to be fun and absolutely terrifying- but by no means freeing. I think I'd be too scared to let go and be 'free'.

    Steph
    www.socialspying.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Whoa! I have never even CONSIDERED trying trapeze before... that's pretty awesome (to do at least once in your life). In the end though, I bet you'll do great in school and won't have to resort to clown college!

    Simply Lovebirds

    ReplyDelete
  41. WOW that's awesome _ i love this kind of things so I can understand why you wanted to do it ( I love parachute jumpings, climbing so :-) )

    Well done girl xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have to say that this is not something that I think I would enjoy - in fact having a fear of heights means that this would be absolutely terrifying for me! I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy it but it's an amazing thing to be able to say you have done and great to be able to tick it off your bucket list :) x

    ReplyDelete
  43. Dude, that looks amazing! (Although I have to ask if you've ever actually been skydiving or bungee jumping, and if you haven't do you plan to?) It sounds like you at least had an interesting experience, even if it was terrifying, but you stepped out of your comfort zone and showed that trapeze who's boss :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow, that looks thrilling! Love the fun post, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  45. Gosh this sounds like so much fun yet so terrifying! I don't think I'd be brave enough to try it :') xx

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow, that looks like it was so much fun! Though I think I would be too scared to do that! :)

    http://roadesque.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh my god this is insane. Amazing pics
    http://carrieslifestyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. This seems to exciting and amazing! Lovely read!


    http://www.emilijamarija.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow! I have to say that you're so brave! I like thrilling sport or game but I don't think that I can do trapeze, but you did it! Amazing :)

    xoxo,

    |CHELSHEAFLO BLOG|
    |FACEBOOK| |INSTAGRAM|

    ReplyDelete
  50. Omg! You are so brave! I don't think I can do this act. Haha!

    Angelie // Shein Paddle Brush Set Review

    ReplyDelete
  51. Well done! I really love the post:)

    irinathayer.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. OMG!!! So amazing experience....you are brave!!!
    Don't miss my last post, now on my blog! Kisses from Italy and thank you for your visit,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    Babywear: Pisamonas baby Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my gosh, I would have freaked the f out! It must have been so exciting!

    with love, Bash   |   HEY BASH

    ReplyDelete