8 tips for female travellers going solo


For a bunch of us, solo travel is one of the most intimidating things we can imagine. And when you factor in the idea of travelling alone as a woman, it suddenly becomes downright terrifying. As a female, I've grown up with the mindset that going out on my own is scary and unsafe in the places not too far from me, let alone if I were to start striding cross-country. 



"You're going abroad? On your own? Without that nice boy friend of yours, or your brother?"

The above is something I'm sure everyone who's thought about going away alone has heard. When you tell people you plan on travelling solo because your friend can't make it, or it's a one-person deal, or solo travel is just something you want to try out, the people who love you tend to resort to saying things that scare you because it's such a crazy concept. However, having not being shanked or murdered on my travels, I have started to realise that frankly, everything I'd been told was absolute bull. Travelling alone is safe, travelling as a female is safe - just so long as you're relatively careful and don't do anything that you wouldn't do at home.

Befriend older couples or families 
My mam once told me a story from when she went to Italy and a girl much younger than she was sat near her and struck up a conversation. This is a natural thing you tend to do when travelling solo, but for this girl, it also kept her safe from the creepy restaurant owner that was chatting her up. From this I learnt that if you can talk to an older couple or families and sit near them in restaurants and the like, if someone makes you uncomfortable or tries to do something you don't want then you're in typically safe hands. On the same note, if you can befriend members of staff and air hostesses then they can help give you advice as well as keep an eye on you, and female flight passengers are often great at giving you tips for the place you're about to land in.

Upload photocopies of important documents 
A lot of people will suggest that you have hard copies of all your important documents in your bags and on your person, in case you run into trouble or need to access them for any reason. However, a lot of the time it may be unlikely that you actually have these on you when you need them, and so if you can upload copies onto sites like DropBox, then even if you lose everything from your bags to your phone then you can still access them on pretty much any other device. It also helps if you make sure your people back home have copies of these prior.




The Rubber Doorstep Trick
When staying in an establishment that may not be the safest, a rubber doorstep really can be a lifesaver. When put on the inside of the door where you're situated, it makes it very difficult for people to break in when you're asleep. Similar to this is the 'Do Not Disturb' Trick, where you put your hotels 'do not disturb' sign up on your door when you're out, rather than the 'come in, my room needs cleaning', as it's an exceedingly obvious sign that no one is in the room, making it a prime opportunity for those who may want to steal your belongings.

Be confident and assertive
This is just a basic piece of advice, but is especially important for when you're a female out travelling alone, as people, primarily males, can be rather grating when they notice you're solo. From shop keepers to people who want to date you to people who just want to get on your nerves, if you're unable to say no and tell people when they're making you uncomfortable then it's going to be rather difficult to get around anywhere. Being able to explain to someone that their advances are unwelcome is one of the most important things you can do.

Check in regularly
With trusted friends or family back home, you should check in with them at the same time every day (especially for first-time travellers) in order for them to make sure you're okay, because if you're not then give a few hours and they can start alerting people. This can also be done with social media, which can be such an important tool when travelling abroad. Either way, by keeping people informed, you're making sure that someone else will be there for you should things go wrong. Also, you get to tell everyone about what a great time you're having!






Take note of the dark
First things first - never arrive in a new place when it's dark out, due to the fact that you'll likely be disorientated and unable to sort yourself out, unless you're getting picked up by people you trust. It's really not the best idea to arrive somewhere you don't know at a time when there's less people around and you can barely read street signs, and so it's also important to note the time of the sunset in the country you're in, so that you can make sure you're in a good place when the sun goes down and are not caught out.

Don't get drunk
Whilst it's perfectly okay to have a couple drinks and have a good time, it's probably not the wisest idea to get blackout drunk and inebriated when vulnerable in a new country with new people. Also, whenever you're out, just like you probably would back home, don't leave your drink unattended even for a short amount of time as anyone could put anything in there without other people noticing, which wouldn't be the best way to end a trip away.

Safety over savings
Don't don't don't skimp out on travel insurance! Don't ever try and save money on the little things, like a crap hotel in a dodgy area, or a bus ride that takes three times as long and goes through somewhere Calcutta-esque. Never ever risk your health and safety in aid of saving a couple bob, as at the end of the day, I'm sure we'd all rather be okay than twenty quid up.


Then of course we have tricks that everyone should be following anyway; like how you should study maps in shops instead of on the street in order to not mark yourself as a tourist, not go out in flamboyant jewelry, have a cross-body bag for your valuables, read the reviews of the places you are staying and visiting, don't get into unmarked taxis (and send the numberplate of any stranger's vehicle to family members), and to dress and behave in a way that is recommended in the culture you're in. Also, have you ever heard about people who've been sat at tables in restaurants or cafes or the like, only to find that when they've got up to leave their bags are missing? In a lot of places, people will steal your belongings right from out under you, and so you should make sure to have your most important items on you at all times, and to put your foot through the strap of your bag when seated if you don't want to lose it.

Despite what a lot of people say, solo travel isn't boring, nor lonely, nor exceedingly risky. In fact, it can be one of the most incredible, uplifting experiences you can ever get in life, and nothing should hold you back. Whilst as a woman you can be especially vulnerable, so long as you take care and are aware of the happenings around you, you can have an insane time doing all these things you've only dreamed of or seen in Wanderlust Magazine. Don't let worries or paranoia stop you from travelling, regardless of whether or not you're solo or female, because travel can be pretty damn fun either way.

43 comments:

  1. This is really amazing! Hope you can have a read at my new blog post.


    BEAUTYEDITER.COM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips, thanks for sharing them. Have a lovely day!

    Gemma x
    www.jacquardflower.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, that's a lot of tips. I'm male, but even so, I don't know that I'm much of a solo traveler. I like the comforts of home when I'm alone. Moreover, I'm more of a countryman. I would be interested in going to the Welsh countryside though, someday maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the safety over savings TIPS. I'm yet to travel solo and will keep these tips in mind.
    www.effortlesslady.co

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are seriously helpful tips, and I honestly didn't even think of most of them! I'm definitely sharing this post. Everyone needs to read it.

    amberelb.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this with us :D
    http://freshisyummy.blogspot.com/2017/07/cut-to-feeling.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos, great place:)
    kisses:*

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are such great tips:) Thank you! I haven't travelled by myself, even when I was younger. I always thought that it wasn't the safest idea, but with these tips and being really aware of your surroundings, travelling by yourself (guy or girl) is just as safe as being with a group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips!! I agree I'm still a bit apprehensive about travelling alone, especially as a woman, but definitely wanna do it soon!

    Alya / moorizzla xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a beautiful post! Hope you've had a great time :*

    x
    Fabienne Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are really useful tips, girl. I am not a fan of travelling solo, simply because I like to share everything I do with someone special (friends or family), but I think anyone giving it a shot should keep all of this in mind to have an amazing + safe trip :) Have a lovely end of the week!

    Saida | She talks Glam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, will pass it onto some of my friends who definitely don't follow the rules when travelling solo!!

    Pop by to check my new blog post

    http://www.elegantduchess.com/beringer-merlot/

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are excellent tips! I used to travel a lot around Mexico by myself. It really helped to befriend an older woman when I would get on a bus. Nobody messed with me! There are of course, risks. But the exhilaration of adventure and discovering new things is so worth it. And you can really develop some street smarts!
    xo, janea
    www.theSTYLEtti.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. useful tips and beautiful pics
    Nice weekend!
    =)
    New post in my Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures and useful tips, thanks for sharing :)

    https://mihabalan.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such great tips! Traveling alone is on my bucket list. However now I am married so it may never happen. It does seem like it would be an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips and beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are all really, really good tips! The rubber doorstep suggestion is genius, and great idea to befriend families and older couples. It's great to have someone around who may 'miss' you if you disappear for a while!

    ps. gorgeous travel photos!!

    aglassofice.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. ¡¡Hola Amy!! Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con tus consejos. Cada vez son las mujeres que deciden viajar solas y eso si, siempre hay que hacerlo con cabeza, y en tus consejos se ven reflejados esa madurez que hay que tener cuando se viaja sola. Por desgracia, es cierto, que somos un colectivo vulnerable por agresiones y robos, pero viajar sola, no signifique que nos vaya a pasar, tomando siempre precauciones, se puede disfrutar de un fantástico viaje sin necesidad de ir acompañada de otras personas. ¡¡Excelentes consejos!! Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great tips, so useful (:

    CM | XIII.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great tips! I've been wanting to travel alone for a while, but I never seem to have time for it. Will keep your tips in mind when I'll do, especially the one of the girl in the restaurant! :D

    xo Noor

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice tips my dear but I never happened to this opportunity. Don't miss my last outfit, now on my blog! Kisses from Italy and thank you for your visit,
    Eni

    Eniwhere Fashion
    How to wear a kimono dress

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great tips, as traveller who hardly ever get a company I can really agree with these. Also, few more ideas would be ''stay in a hostel'' cos it's easy place to meet and befriend people, and it's much more fun and safer to go and explore new places together then. And second one: ''don't look like a turist'', cos so many times going somewhere, we look like obvious foreigners, wearing super comfy explorer's clothes, backpacks, looking lost and taking pictures of everything. I think I've managed to get rid of this habit lately, but I think my family would still like to pack some sandwiches for the road, instead of grabbing food when hungry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are so good to know. You can't be too safe, especially the way the world is today. Great post.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. As someone who traveled a bunch alone, I can totally appreciate this! I remember being so scared for my first solo trip outside of the US, and it was in Japan! Checking in is sooo crucial.... especially because of my mom! I love the tip of having copies of everything, it is life saving!
    All of these tips were so crucial, especially since you went so in depth!

    Denise | Fashion Love Letters

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good tips! I haven't traveled much solo but these all sound really smart.

    Amy Ann
    Straight A Style

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful post, love it! :)
    Maybe follow for follow? :)

    veronicalucy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are really useful tips, and ones that I haven't heard about before! I'm sure they'll come in handy for a lot of people xx

    Velvet Blush

    ReplyDelete
  29. These tips are so practical and helpful. Safety over savings is such common sense. I've only ever traveled solo for business. I think it would be quite daunting if I were ever to vacation by myself since I don't even like eating out alone.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for good tips dear!<3
    I love your travel photos:)
    Come and visit Poland one day!:)

    www.justcleo.pl

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great tips! Thanks for sharing!

    http://violettedaily.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tips! I love traveling!

    Have an awesome day!
    xx Kris

    https://dreamingofpink.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great tips & thanks for creating these awareness tips for solo female travellers! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great tips! I want to do a trip like that alone, must be very interesting!

    xo,
    priceless-ambition.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing all these tips!! I have travelled alone twice in my life and I love it!! It's possible and it's safe as you said!

    Andrea.

    Seize your Style

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love to travel solo, but yes, one has to be extra careful! Love all the things you've listed here, so important to think about and do/don't! Xx

    www.thefashionfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are great tips! I've always been a little worried about eventually embarking on a few journeys solo, but these tips make me feel like I'll be able to handle the experiences I seek out. I think I'll save these, so I have them for future reference. :) Thanks for sharing your experiences! They helped!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great advice! Loved the tips.

    www.kategetsdressed.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. These tips are so practical and helpful. Safety over savings is such common sense.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I personally don't travel alone although it is something I would love to do at least once in my life. I think these are great tips and I will 100% remember them whether I am travelling alone or with friends, the rubber door stop trick and do not disturb sign are fabulous ideas!

    Lauren x Huggled

    ReplyDelete
  41. Excellent points! Now I just need to find a good locale. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. It is all very useful information. Thank You for sharing such great news to share!
    Party Wear Kurtis

    ReplyDelete