Zed

I remember learning the alphabet when I was at my first year of Primary School in Wales, and how we would always finish the alphabet song with a nicely rhyming 'zee', before moving onto the 'now I know my ABCs, won't you come and sing with me-e-e' part.

But then, when I moved a whole four hundred miles East of the island of which I lived, to sunny old England (slight sarcasm?), everything changed. The trees were darker, the air was foggier, people lived at an incredibly fast pace. But most importantly, the English said the aplhabet differently.

I began to end the alphabet with 'zed', which really makes no sense. A....B....C....D....E....F....G........ and ZED. I mean, ZED, really?! 

All of a sudden, my life was flipped ipside down. It was a travesty. It was a revelation. It was a new way to end the alphabet. 

No longer did the 'ABC, won't you sing with me' apply to the alphabet. After zed replaced zee, life really was never the same.

It was one of the most confusing fimes of my childhood, before the whole 'grarss' instead of 'grahss' incident happened, obviously.

And, until the very end of my days, I will always stand by the fact that it is wrong that zee was horrifically slaughtered from the alphabet.

6 comments:

  1. What's the grarss and grahss thing?? In the USA we just say grass...

    But, ZED IS SO WEIRD THATS NOT EVEN RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a whole other story, but the Welsh say grAHss whereas the English tend so say grARss. They also do it for bath and daft and cant and dance. Oh, the English.

      Delete
  2. I remember hearing "zed" for the first time and I had no clue what those English people were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Zed really just came out of nowhere!

      Delete
    2. I thought zed was a person at first. Oops! (:

      Delete