Forty-Fifth Book Review

I know, I know! I haven't done a book review in CENTURIES.

Okay, slight exaggeration

Anyway, here's my forty-fifth book review...



My forty-fifth book review is on The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong.


This book had a sort of... haunting beauty to it. I admit, some times throughout the book I was utterly freaked out and wanted to hide behind the sofa with all the lights on. But other times... it was magical. Kelly Armstrong left many strings untied, and for every answer she let out, she released at least a dozen other questions. It was not at all what I expected it to be like, and I quite enjoyed the untold mystery of it all. It had a really strong storyline, leaving me scared yet mesmerised by what was happening. By the end of it, I was even doubting myself.

Even though the cover is absolutely gorgeous, I didn't think it had much to do with the actual story. Chloe, the main character, mentions a red necklace once or twice, but I don't think it played a key part in the book. Armstrong never actually mentioned what the necklace was or did, so I think it could have been improved by having a suitable front cover.

In the book, Chloe Saunders lives with her Aunt because her dad's away most of the time, and her mother had died a few years back. All her life, Chloe had seen things and heard things that no one else could, and so it's no surprise when she ends up in a home for crazy people. Everyone else in there seems pretty normal to her, 'Who puts someone who likes matches in a home?' Soon Chloe finds out that no one is who they said they were, and her life's twisted with lies and distrust of the greatest forms. And so when Chloe discovers that the greatest form of lie is actually true, well, that just sends her over the top.

The is a book full of magic.  Dark magic. And only when Chloe reaches the light at the end of the tunnel will she be able to set herself free.

I enjoyed every little bit of this book, except for the end. Chloe's talking to a ghost - I'm not going to spoil it by saying which one - when the book finishes. It's a very spooky ending, but then they show a quick taster of the next book. Somehow, she's calling the ghost again, the bit just before the ghost appears and they have a conversation. But instead of the conversation they had at the end of the book, a different ghost appears, and tells us a different story. It would have been okay if it had been explained, but it left a cliffhanger of confusion. And not a good confusion, either.

Anyhow, overall I would rate this book a 9/10 and would recommend it for ages 13+.

It's all a hallucination...

AAWAD(:

No comments:

Post a Comment